m4/3 - no U.S. market penetration...yet?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
PapaRappa
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Opposite experience on the other coast
In reply to James Pilcher, Jul 18, 2012

I was recently commenting to a friend of mine how surprised I was by all the Micro 4/3 cameras I saw on a recent trip to San Francisco. Like you I tend to notice camera gear and walking through fishermans wharf I saw LOTS of Micro 4/3. Of the nearly 20 photographers I actually noticed about 8 were using micro 4/3rds, most of those being Panasonic. The rest were evenly split between consumer canikons with kit lenses and canikons with MONSTER lenses. Seeing the largest of the bunch (Canon 1D and Nikon D4's) with big zooms gave me a lot appreciation for my much less heavy and intrusive gear.

So all in all, about 40% of the cameras I saw out here were micro 4/3s and that's much better than the days I'd be walking around a place like that and be the ONLY Olympus 4/3 shooter around. Back in those days, I'd see an E-500/510/520 once in a while but very few people with anything else.

James Pilcher wrote:

I have been wandering about Southwest Florida tourist attractions, taking a break from work. As a life-long camera buff, I tend to notice what people are carrying. During the past week of being amongst (far too many) tourists, I am seeing a lot of DSLRs and camera phones. I see a smattering of all-in-1 superzooms and about an equal number of inexpensive consumer digital cameras. I saw one Leica D-Lux 5. Now the news: I've seen absolutely no m4/3 cameras among the hundreds of others I've spied.

We in this forum tend to be tuned in to and enthusiastic about our m4/3 systems and how they are really taking hold. I'm not seeing that out in the wild though; m4/3 cameras are still a very rare sighting. I'll let you decide the implications.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

-- hide signature --

PapaRappa

PapaRappa's gear list:PapaRappa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow