Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
The sony RX 100 is truly amazing! Lots of photos and mini-review
Jul 18, 2012

I have NEX-7 and E-M5, so this list is mostly compare to the NEX-7.

pros:

1. Size of s100 with 1' sony sensor, the auto-focus is super speed and very accurate, much much better than NEX-7, better than E-M5.

2. charge with USB, I can attach it to my car charger or remote battery for my mobile phone.

3. unlike Olympus xz-1,Fujifilm x10, Panasonic lx5/lx7, Canon g1x, it has build-in len cap, which makes it smaller and LOT more convenient than those in real life.
4. ISO can be as low as 80, compensate some margin for the 1/2000s shutter speed

5. The operation system is build from Sony Alphe DSLR, unlike the NEX's bad UI implement from PS digital camera. It have 3 custom profiles, with their own iso range setting. different picture quality setting etc.

6. The face detection can be set on for ALL light metering and focus mode. this is a big evolution from NEX(which can only used with matrix metering and multi-focus).
7. 20m is very good with pixel peeping, lots of details with base iso.
8. still keep the Sony camera's features:
Sony's picture color.
Portrait mode have lots of dynamic range boost.
AF-illuminate light is useless.
Alpha multi frame noise reduction
manual focus with focus peaking

exposure compensation and white balance you see on screen is identical to the actual shots.

9. leaf shutter is almost silent. lower latency compare to NEX-7, super fast, that can sync flash with 1/2000s

10. 10fps shutter stream with live view, this is a huge plus from NEX, and the buffer flush is very quick compare to NEX-7 with sandisk ush-i 45mb SD
11. almost no screen lag between shutters
12. dual dials control is very good, comparable to NEX-7 and E-M5

13. lens is exceptional, f1.8 can be used but there maybe some halos in daylight, starts from f2.8 is razor sharp.
14. photo replay can be zoomed-in and roll-over each photos.

15. lots of customization with buttons.better than NEX-5n and comparable to NEX-7

17. Video function is better than NEX-7 have more control, and concave dedicate movie button.
18. Video active stabilization is effective, panning and zooming is very smooth.
19. dedicate modal dial, with memory recall and movie mode.
20. flash can be set to bounce with your fingers, produce nice in-door photos.

21. white magic rgbw screen is very good, more vivid and bright than NEX-7 outdoor.

cons:

1.front dial is smooth, but I prefer tick dial
2.modal dial is a little tighten

4.not dedicate on/off button for flash. it can only be triggered with menu option to use flash.

5.Lens zoom out/in speed is not very fast, if you drop the camera, it may not survive...

6. aperture decay fast compare to the focal length, hopefully it can provide 28-35mm with f2.8
7. no grip, even its small but you'd better have the wrist strap.
8. no external battery charger for spare battery.
9. no manual CD, and you can't download from web.
10. no sd card buffering write indicator nor any sign of indication on screen.

11. no smart terminal from NEX, can't hook up EVF, it's a bad dicision for a camera without articulate screen.
12. photos and movies in separate replay menu, Sony's old problem though...

Took some shots around:

1/2000s shutter with flash

details of the camera itself:

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +16 more
Fujifilm X10 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ModeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow