ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Lens advice for G5
Jul 18, 2012

Hi all

I've been reading the various specs and comments about the new G5. It seems a reasonable incremental improvement on the G3 and I'm tempted.

I previously owned and used a G camera before (early adopter of the venerable G1), and need lightweight gear because of arthritis. I currently use a Sony Nex 7 which is a good camera (and which I'll probably keep) but am frustrated by lack of lenses.

I had the original 14-45 kit lens with the G1 and it was a cracking little lens, probably one of the best kit lenses around. Having done a bit of research, I can't find that any of the newer 14-4x versions better its IQ, so this would probably be my first purchase. Any thoughts from the forum members? I'll add that, at the moment, the 12-50 f2.8 looks very desirable but is outside my budget so this ism't an option.

I also originally had the 45-200. I found this serviceable but not exceptionable for IQ. I understand the newer 45-175 is superior optically but Panny have, of course, also just announced the 45-150 which looks very nice. I appreciate no-one's had one to test yet but would welcome comments on what you think from the published specs about this newer tele-zoom. The power zoom facility of the 45-175 is of no interest to me which is why I'm wondering about the newer 45-150.

I have tried the 14-140 as I like the range but found it disappointing against the 14-45, although on a par with the 45-200. But I'd like a bit better IQ so am discounting this also.

Further down the line. I'll look at some primes but, for now, just want to get set up with a reasonable range.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts as I have been away from MFT for a while and need to get some up to date opinions.

Thanks in advance

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow