Canon Lenses for a Beginner

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
cpkuntz
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Lenses for a Beginner
In reply to gdanmitchell, Jul 18, 2012

Just to respectfully disagree (and I've seen this poster give a lot of excellent advice, so it is a totally valid viewpoint), I would argue that at least one good prime is good for your photography as a beginner. When I first bought a DSLR, the 7D, I just wasn't loving what I was getting with the 28-135mm kit lens. Whether you get a prime or not depends a lot on the shooting style you have, and getting one at the beginning will shape your shooting style. Having at least one will get you used to it. For portraits and to some extent for still life shots, the nifty fifty is sharp, has a wide aperture, and a low price. The FOV on a crop is limiting, but is good for head and shoulders shots. After the 28-135mm, my first lenses were the nifty fifty and a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. My best shots were taken with those two lenses for a very long time. With the Sigma I did a lot of landscapes, too, including my avatar shot of the lighthouse. Those lenses are great, and the wide aperture is excellent on a crop cameras, which generally could use the light (wider aperture is usually preferable to higher ISO on crop cameras).

So I wouldn't rule out the nifty fifty. As mentioned, it all depends on what you want to shoot. Composing with a prime, in my opinion, is good for learning.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow