The age old question... Panasonic 20mm or 25mm or both?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
elliotsam
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
The age old question... Panasonic 20mm or 25mm or both?
Jul 18, 2012

Just got back from a great holiday in Gran Canaria.. My GF5 got a a good amount of use (probably about 800 shots).. Beforehand I purchased some lenses I wasn't really sure that I needed, I took a Panasonic 14-42x, 20mm, 45-175x and Samyang 7.5mm fisheye..

I didn't need to look at the exif data to realise that the 14-42x was used about 20 times, so that is definitely getting sold ASAP. The other 3 lenses were used roughly equal amounts, the fisheye was invaluable for landscape shots, the 20mm being the 'all rounder' lens. The 45-175 was use for long distance but most of the time I was using it for portraits (it is supringsingly good).. The only thing is, I had to take quite a few steps back to make most of the shots, which wasn't a problem on the beach or in an open space but was impossible indoors.

So I'm thinking of getting the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, I love portraits with really shallow DOF but in alot of scenarios I'm just not going to be able to get far enough back to allow it with the 45-175 (which rules out the Olympus 45mm aswell).. And trying to use the 20mm for portaits normally means being very close.

The Panasonic 25mm seems like a good comprimise, but I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my money a bit having 2 lenses so close to each other (I'll always want to have a pancake lens so the 20mm perfect in the respect)..

Does anyone have both and feel there is a reason for both? I'm hoping to get about £180 for my 14-42x so it's going to cost me around £200 once I factor in the current cashback on the 25mm, it's alot of money to me so it's quite a hard decision and I need the help of you guys!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow