RX100 video IQ impressive

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 video IQ impressive, but not as impressive as a small camcorder
In reply to nosnoop, Jul 18, 2012

"And most users would much prefer the visibly superior low light performance of the RX100 over the subtle slight edge of sharpness of the GW77 under day light.

Can you get shallow DOF video footage with GW77? No.
Can you control the aperture with GW77? No.
Can you control the shutter speed with GW77? No.
Can you control the ISO with GW77? No.

Sure GW77 has its advantages like longer zoom and water proof. But RX100 can do things which the GW77 cannot, and can perform in some situations better than the GW77."

I agree with these points, except the first two: who knows what "most" users want? And I have posted in the video forum shallow dof footage taken with the GW77 - check it out. But the RX100 in general will take more shallow dof, and also struggle more to get focus!

Those advantages of the RX100 are what attracted me to it to investigate. The poor zoom lens and limited range and video quality in good light disappointed me, a lot.

One additional point, though: the narrow f4.9 at 100mm really reduces the advantage in low light for the RX100. May not be much use of full telephoto in dim light, but it is a constraint. And the the GW77 has some manual audio control; the RX100 has none.

There are trade-offs; I wish for the manual controls of the RX100 and the higher-resolution, artifact-free GW77 video quality. Maybe next generation.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow