Help'Problem changing "read only" attribute of file

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
clear glass
Contributing MemberPosts: 655
Like?
Still have copy problem but it's not what I thought
In reply to clear glass, Jul 18, 2012

It seems the "read only" attribute of a folder means Windows XP home will not allow the folder to be deleted if it contains files (the files in the folder must be deleted first).

Sorry for the long explanation in the first post about this problem which turns out to be beside the point.

Now the problem is simply this: I'm trying to drag and drop files from a folder on my computer into a folder on an external hard drive (WD 1 ter book, 1/2 ter passport.)
I cannot do that with one particular folder of text files on my computer.

Or rather, it's erratic; sometimes I can copy one file, but I want, as usual, to lasso a whole bunch and drag and drop them.
I can copy these files to a folder on my desktop.
Anyone have any idea what's happening?

The first time I had this problem, I ran chkdsk on the Passport and was told it was ok.

I'm having the same problem with the same folder when I try to copy files to a WD Passport, two 1ter My Book and a 1 ter WD Elements SE external.

Since it's one folder on my computer and four external hard drives, I think the problem must be with the original folder, but it doesn't seem to arise when I copy from that folder to another folder on my computer.
All suggestions that do not involve self-harm are welcome.
Thank you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow