The G5 has a new sensor!(It seems) Other notes.

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
napilopez
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?
The G5 has a new sensor!(It seems) Other notes.
Jul 18, 2012

So after almost everyone was sure the G5 had the same old sensor as the G3(which was already quite respectable), there is now evidence that it is a new sensor.

Mainly:

16.05mp vs 16

Sensor output is 60fps(vs 30fps)

But more importantly, dpreview seems to say it has a new sensor:

"Differences between the G5 and the G3

-16MP 'digital' Live MOS sensor (vs analog)"

"Under the hood, the G5's 'newly developed' 16MP Live MOS sensor is what Panasonic calls a 'digital sensor' with some of the processing happening on the chip itself. In theory this translates into improved high-ISO performance which is very welcome news,"

"...the new sensor is very promising..."

"Considering the new sensor design we would not only expect better detail at low sensitivities but also improved performance at high ISOs."

"the new sensor is very promising, and the resolution bump of the rear LCD is very welcome. "

On a different note, it seems like the touchpad AF point adjustment might not be as dandy as I originally thought, but DPreview says it depends on which I you're using(which I acknowledged):

"Depending on what eye you are using to peek through the viewfinder it's easy to confuse the system by accidentally touching the screen with your nose."

So, potentially useful for right eye shooters, perhaps more problematic for left-eye peeps.

Very interestingly, in addition to the new extra buttons, you can actually customize the powerzoom lever for exposure compensation. It's essentially like having a second dial:

"It can also be assigned to exposure compensation and aperture adjustment in manual exposure mode."

I am very happy with this upgrade so far. All I'm really hoping for IQ wise is increased dynamic range. This is actually a lot more than I was expecting from the G5.

EDIT: from photographyblog.com, apparently this also includes a silent electronic shutter at full resolution, which is awesome for candids.

Trying to check some RAWs...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow