ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,622
Like?
We should be happy
Jul 18, 2012

The forum goes through bored throes.

"We wish" that Ricoh could release some new product to titilate the acquisition syndrome. Pity the poor Panasonic guys, seems a constant onrush of new models. Perhaps it is mot so bad in reality but I do remember Panasonic's first half-decent digital camera the FZ1. Although I have had my share of Ricohs since I gave up the superseded camera race with Panasonic with their LX1 when I found that the GRD with no IS, a fixed wide prime, and a higher price was just so much more camera. Years have passed and the LX1 and FZ30 are just obsolesence well past and yet the GRD can be dragged out to strut it's stuff and reliably bring a smile back to the face. The GRDIII in no way truly replaced it precisely.

Three more Panasonic models hit the dpreview deck. Hmmm if the Ricoh FF module ever does surface it certainly will not supersede the A12 mount, just another card in the pack, a lens multiplier par excellence. A 50mm f1.4 on your FF module is and will continue to be a 75mm f1.4 on the A12 mount.

Only the R/CX series obsoletes model per model but it does take a few models before there is any urgency to replace. Glad of the reliabilty and the careful way that generally speaking new models have a subtle enough shift to keep the previous old darlings interesting.

Hairdryer models proliferate until you hardly know which model actually dries hair, all shapes and sizes and enough prices to make your head swim. Copiers are generally used until they simply wear out or your task requirements change.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow