I Just Discovered The S100FS

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Larry Winters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?
Re: FZ200 with constant f2.8 zoom
In reply to expressivecanvas, Jul 18, 2012

expressivecanvas wrote:

f2.8 across the entire range of a lens is always nice so, if this does come to market, kudos to Panasonic. That being said, I have to wonder about the sensor size... if a respectably-sized sensor (minimum of 2/3"), the f2.8 would be significant and great. If it is another pin-head sized sensor... personally, I'm not really sure the f2.8 really matters much.

It sure won't matter that much to me.

And, for me (and I understand I may be in the minority here on this one), a power-zoom is a major dealbreaker. I had one of those on my S5000Z and hated it. Even today, whenever I pick up my old, trusty S5000Z, I get frustrated by the power-zoom. So that is a definite dealbreaker for me.

Even though I MUCH prefer the manual zoom the electronic zoom on my FZ150 is tolerable, especially for video, so its not a total deal breaker for me, but close.

I would still prefer to see a re-make... a new production run... of the S100FS with a SuperCCD V (?) 2/3" sensor (S300FS?)... just improve the menu system (definitely add control over noise reduction), unsure quality glass (can even keep same range and aperature), and perhaps add a faster processor (certainly those are more affordable today) and RAW+jpeg. Oh... and just eliminate video... it doesn't work for Fuji and would be better off missing from the feature list.

Take the body and ergonomics of the X-S1 with the sensor and lens/IS of the s100fs and FF would have a real winner. Having said that, other than the droop, I'm not certain the X-S1 lens itself is a real problem. More the EXR resolution robbing sensor.

Of course, Fuji would need to get control over their Quality Control for any camera to succeed and, at this point, that just might require a major shake-up and a year or two to get back on track. I'm not sure Fuji can wait that long for a proven winner. But I still would love to see an updated S100FS with the proven SuperCCD sensor!

Sadly the QC at FF sure is lacking so one must proceed with caution on any new release.

lw

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow