Retina Display MacBook Pro

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Senior MemberPosts: 3,643
Like?
Re: Software Question
In reply to Hulamike, Jul 18, 2012

Hulamike wrote:

I know I can run windows apps on the Mac but I assume it wouldn't be as fast as using apps made for the Mac OS. Is this correct? I currently use CS5 and Lightroom 3.

There are two ways to run Windows apps on a Mac.

One way is to use "Boot Camp" to boot the entire computer into a partition with Windows OS and apps installed. When you do this, it's basically running as a Windows PC from top to bottom, so any Windows app will run as fast as it can. The disadvantage is that all your Mac software is inaccessible.

The other way is to boot into OS X and use virtualization software to allow Windows to run inside OS X. The advantage of this is that you can then run Windows and Mac software side by side, transfer files between them while running both OSs, etc. The disadvantage is that Windows software will run slightly slower than they would if the entire computer was booted into Windows. The other disadvantage is that you must have enough RAM to run both OSs efficiently with resource-hungry graphics programs running in both OSs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow