D800 User Question

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Norm Ullock
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 User Question
In reply to Tuxster, Jul 17, 2012

I debated between the D4 & D800 before buying my D800 in June.

I have a D300 that gets 8 FPS vs the D4 at 10 fps so I wouldn't spend the money for 2 extra FPS. The low light capability of the D4 is nice but I don't often need that kind of low light capablility.

I didn't like the size of the D4 to carry all day on a travel vacation. I felt before getting the D800 that 16 mpx would be ok vs 12 on the D300.

After 3k shots on the D800 I am glad I choose it over the D4. It is really 3 cameras in one. In DX mode it is a 16mpx D300 for the 1.5 x focal length when I shoot wildlife.

When in FX mode I can crop a very small area of my image and still get high quality resolution.

I find it focuses way faster and more accurately than the D300. I find my copy of the D800 overexposes a bit in some situations so -.3 EV is a good default. I love the in viewfinder horizon that allows me to shoot a level image.

I have not had any problems with the D800 that some posts talk about and I am very happy with the image quality and the low light capability is WAY WAY better than the D300.

I bought fast Lexar CF and SD cards and when plugged them into a Kingston usb3 card reader 50+ mb images dnload as fast as my D300 images did on a usb 2 port on my older desktop. I find that when opening a 50 mb image in CS5 it takes a sec or two longer than a D300 NEF but not a problem at all.

My biggest downside to the D800 is my wife is comparing her D7000 images to my D800 images and saying wow. It's making me nervous.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow