Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
craig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945Gear list
Like?
Delay Sending to El Segundo for AF Fix?
Jul 17, 2012

My D800 (purchased in April) is exhibiting the left bank AF issue, Interesting though that some lenses would be affected more than others. My 50 1.8G @ f/2.8 is definitely mushy on the left compared to the LV. Center and right are good. The last few weeks I've read till I'm blue in the face regarding proper targets, techniques to test etc. I don't have a wide angle to test with. My 85 f/1.8g is much better than the 50. Both were tested with AF fine tune on AND off. My AF fine tune on my 50mm is at minus 5 so it's not a huge adjustment.

My hunch is to wait awhile until El Segundo gets a better handle on how to diagnose and fix this issue. I hear horror stories of the camera returning worse off than before.

It seems they should have all the hardware and software in their shop before they just let a tech sit there and tweak a few random things and then quickly check a focus target and say "its done"

The bottom line......I want to send it in and have it checked and calibrated by a trained tech and not have to shoot and send in a bunch of freaking test charts. Wouldn't it by THEY, who should and would know how to "test it properly" rather than myself, and then bring it properly into spec the FIRST time? Sure I can shoot test targets, but Nikon repair should have calibration machines (like seen here http://hifivoice.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/d800-autofocus-repair-overview/ ) that would EXACTLY line things up to test.

Anyway, I'd like to send it in now, but my gut tells me to wait until they know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Craig

craig's gear list:craig's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow