Camera suggestions for a newbie?

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera suggestions for a newbie?
In reply to BettyBoop1110, Jul 17, 2012

BettyBoop1110 wrote:

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me out here. I'm a total newbie at photography. I want to learn the basics beyond just using the presets on a digital camera. I'm planning to learn as much as possible online & maybe take a few classes to get me started.

I have been using an old Koday Easyshare that I was never crazy about but I wonder how much better it would've been had I known how to use the manual settings instead of just presets.

Anyhow, the Easyshare finally died on me (I didn't shed a tear! LOL) & now I want to buy a better one that I can learn the ropes on. I want to be able to do some close-ups, not macro but pretty close-up (artistic, plants, etc...) and also everyday shots of family, vacations, out on the boat, etc...

We are really tight since I'm disabled & can't work right now. I don't mind buying refurbished but need to stay under $200. What's the best I can get for my money? Thanks in advance for your help! :))

Betty Boop

To my knowledge there are no cameras currently on the market under $200 that provide an "M" mode. That doesn't mean there aren't any good cameras out there for under $200, they just don't have what you are looking for.

You should be able to find a compact point and shoot with an 8x-12x zoom for under $200, which should cover most of your basic shooting needs.

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow