Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
NEX7 + kit 18-55 = good combo.
Jul 17, 2012

Until I tried two replacement kit lenses I wasn't pleased with the image quality of the 18-55. Two lenses were soft down the left side. The third was okay and this is now on my NEX7. Shooting the Australian forests or bush as we call it here is a challenge for cameras and lenses. Such fine foliage is difficult to capture unless sufficient resolution is delivered to the sensor via the lens. Well, I had just about given up on the kit lens and was using it mainly for closeups and things other than landscapes. A couple days ago I did a panorama in the Blue Mountains and it passed with flying colours. What a pleasant surprise. So if your kit lens isn't sufficiently sharp maybe you got a poor copy and I must say the quality control seems lax. Then again I have seen only a few of their lenses. So what do I know?

Here is the panorama shot in landscape mode. The sun was about 15 minutes before sunset here and the cliff and foliage were golden and warm. 7 photos were taken of the cliffs at Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains near Sydney. The cliffs are about 300 metres across the valley. Stitched in Autopano Giga. Everything was fine except the sky which I had to redo. It was too difficult to do it thoroughly but the foliage is what to inspect in the panorama. I have also downloaded the original size of 15800 X 3800.

Original size photo is here: http://ovincez.smugmug.com/gallery/23487639_Hs8N8x# !i=1971173525&k=cjQttRb&lb=1&s=O

The photo below is 5468 X 1300.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow