Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tgbs
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
I am starting to think that the Left AF Problem FIX, does not exist. Long
Jul 17, 2012

I pre-ordered my D800 from a small local shop. On June 12th I received a call stating that the camera has arrived, right away I went to the shop, walked in, saw three D800 boxes on the counter, the store owner said choose one, I chose the one with the highest serial number, due to the rumors about the left AF problem, I believed that there would be a better chance of getting a D800 without a problem. WRONG, after running a test with my 24-70mm I discovered I had the left AF problem. I started to think that I might be doing something wrong, re-ran the tests with different charts, focal length, daylight, indoor lighting, etc. In all cases the problem was confirmed, center focus point was approaching live view, the right was not as good as the center, but acceptable, the left severe back focus.

News was spreading that a fix was ready to take care of the problem, I called Nikon Mississauga, talked with a service representative, I asked if he was aware that a fix was now available, forget it, he would not acknowledge that there was a problem never mind a fix. I decided to wait, then one day on this forum I read that one member here, had brought his D800 to Mississauga for the left AF problem and was commending the service center for a job well done. On July 10th I decided to take my camera in along with a miniSD card with a well-organized series of photos showing the left AF problem. To my surprise the receptionist took the camera and refused to take the photo evidence of the problem. I was now very confident that they now knew about the problem, not only that I figured that they also had the fix. I was very much relieved of any concerns I had up that point.

On July 16th PM, I received a phone call from Nikon Mississauga, voice on the phone said the camera has been fixed and ready to be picked up. Since they close at 4:30PM I figured there was not enough time for the drive over and beat the 4:30PM, so I decided to drive over the morning after. I could not sleep all night; I was so full of excitement. I got up early, drove over, walked in the service center, it was empty, few minutes later the receptionist showed up, handed her my receipt she took it, she walked through this door, few seconds later she came back with my camera, I signed for it, I thanked her. While in the office I mounted the 24-70 on it, took aim through the view finder with the center focus point at some book on a table nearby, snapped a picture had a look on the back screen it looked blurry, than another same result. I figured not enough light, went outside setup my tripod mounted the camera on it, setup a chart which I had brought along. I was horrified. Now the center sensor focus was worse than my most left had ever been, which was bad, the left most sensor focus was fine and the right most was somewhere between the other two.

Walked back in, expressed my very deep disappointment in the services performed to my camera. Explained the new found AF problems and my camera re-entered the repair shop. I am now deeply sorry that I have purchased this camera.
The list of details of the services performed:
(1) Service Repair Rank B2
(2) ADJ FOCUS SYSTEM
(3) ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
(4) FIRMWARE UPGRADE
(5) GENERAL CHECK & CLEANING
Note: The Firmware was already up to date, A: 1.00, B: 1.01, L: 1.006

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow