New here - Ok I'm dumping my DSLR (yes, really!)

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
art11
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
New here - Ok I'm dumping my DSLR (yes, really!)
Jul 17, 2012

Ever since I encountered problems with my back a year plus back (acute disc herniation), lugging my DSLR across the neck/shoulders tends to be quite a burden, resulting in my camera being stored in the dry cabinet most of the time. Finally decided to get a lighter weight companion. I had tried the OM-D, the EP3, GX1 etc at the stores, but still very much preferred the NEX 5n over all the others, in spite of having reservations of it being an ample replacement to my DSLR.

Came back from a trip to Europe recently where I initially had greatly deliberated what to pack in my camera bag. Had this nagging feeling I would miss my DSLR (Canon 7D) with just the NEX 5n, 16mm, 18-200 in my kit. Boy, was I wrong - it served my needs plenty and I really enjoyed shooting with the NEX!

Some random shots to share (most of these were taken with the 16mm + wide angle converter adapter):

I think at the end of the day, yes, the set up has its limitations when compared to my DSLR and for what I generally shoot, but I guess there will always a compromise. Things I wish could be 'improved' - seeing a 2.8 walkabout range lens (like my 17-55 f2.8), an ultra-wide zoom (like my 10-22) but I understand these should be coming some time this year or next. In any case, I think I've found my sweet spot in terms of compactness/weight, ease of use, image quality for now - so much so I've decided to offload my DSLR set up! Just sayin

Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow