ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sye46
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Why I bought a 7 rather than a 5n
Jul 17, 2012

why i bought a Nex 7 instead of a 5N

I try to shoot low ISO, the 24mp sensor has incredible detail and dynamic range in low ISO. I know this from using my A77... now without that mirror in front, the 24mp really shines. The detail you can get from the 24mp sensor at low ISO outshines the 16mp sensor by a mile. The difference in high ISo noise doesn't make up the difference in low ISO detail IMO. The 24mp also gives me the ability to really crop images like when I was using the A77 and A850. I was very impressed with the Nex 7 DXOmark's scores.

The cost of an 5n + EVF + HVL-F20s flash cost about the same as a Nex 7.. and try using a EVF and flash at the same time... good luck with that.

The Nex 7 has a hotshoe so I can mount any sony flash on it. ( I already own a F20Am and F56Am so this was a no brainer)

The tri-navi system. Coming from a A77 and A850, there was no way I was going to use a camera with only 1 dial. This was a no brainer for me.... I can't imagine shooting M mode with 1 dial.

The additional buttons and the ability to configure each button... wow.. I can't wait for a firmware update for even more configurability.

So far I'm very impressed with the Nex 7. My only gripe is the slow AF but that is to be expected. The lens selection is also lacking, but with the LA-EA2, it'll hold me off for a while. I'll also be checking out MF lenses as well.

Overall, IMO, the Nex 7 works better for ME coming from a A77 and A850 (and A700, A350, A100).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow