Frank Lloyd Wright architecture: DA 18-135 mm (5 img)

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
capturef22
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525
Like?
Frank Lloyd Wright architecture: DA 18-135 mm (5 img)
Jul 17, 2012

I visited my first-ever Frank Lloyd Wright building this past weekend in Buffalo, NY. Darwin Martin commissioned FL Wright to build his family home, that happened to include a residence for Mr. Martin's sister and brother-in-law, a conservatory, a carriage house and a Gardener's cottage in addition to the Martin family home. The "campus" has quite a storied and interesting past and has been undergoing restoration since the early 1990s. This (and some of the other buildings in and around Buffalo) really gave FL Wright a step up as a unique and individual architect in his own right. This one's certainly worth a visit if you have any interest in his work.

Photographs are not allowed any place a roof covers the visitor's head. Knowing I would be part of a guided tour, I decided to simplify to some extent and brought only the 18-135 mm lens, snapping a shot here and there as we went along. For right now, that lens gives me the best flexibility, though I certainly contend with some minor to moderate distortion issues. The weather was perfect (or maybe a little on the too sunny side). Composition isn't all I hoped for on each image, but I'm learning to work with things as they come. Due to the architectural style, shadows are definitely something to contend with as FL Wright built in part to maintain the privacy of his clients.

Here's a few of my favorites; a few more are on my flickr site.

Thanks for looking.

1/400, f/13, ISO 640

1/400, f/10, ISO 200

1/400, f/10, ISO 200

1/400, f/13, ISO 2500

1/400, f/13, ISO 400

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow