RX100 video IQ impressive

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,271Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 video IQ impressive compared to most still camera videos
In reply to RicksAstro, Jul 17, 2012

"Given Canon DSLRs are currently used for some TV and movie production, if the RX100 is better (and it is based on my using both), I think we can safely say that differences between it and the best video cameras are inconsequential when compared with most other aspects (lighting, composition, story telling) and certainly good enough for home movies.

I've owned a TM700, and was disappointed in the lens...contrast wasn't very good especially at the tele end. Video was exquisite, but let down a little by optics. And the still capability was pathetic, so I ended up never taking it with me. The GH2 was far preferable for my use due to the better optics and equally excellent video. But this was from a tech geek perspective. Both far exceeded my skill level."

I agree with most of what you say. But I think the old argument that lighting, composition etc. are more important than technical quality is irrelevant for most users of these cameras. They want videos that appear to be stunning in most circumstances, and resolution is the most obvious characteristic. People here are posting pictures of their dogs, for heavens sake. They are not setting up lighting tents and reflectors. And don't get me started on audio.

I disagree that the GH2 and the TM900 videos are of equal quality. I own both, have compared extensively, and the TM900 has better video, even in dim light - color and sharpness. But perhaps we value attributes differently.

The bottom line is that it is apparent that for many of the posters here and perhaps most people, the RX100 video is "good enough." But not for me, and for those like me who really value sharp, clean video as the base for what we compose and light. Quality that is readily available in small affordable packages (camcorders). So we are NOT comparing to multi-thousand dollar equipment, which wold be silly and pointless.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow