G1X - Sunday Brunch viewed from my Seat (PICS)

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,979Gear list
Like?
Dallas Phelps: The sort of shots I'm after (PICS)
In reply to Dallas Phelps, Jul 17, 2012

Dallas Phelps wrote:

With much street photography you are encountering unexpected fleeting moments and the G1X CANNOT RELIABLY DELIVER those shots to you. With due respect to Marco, many of these moments he displays could quite easily have been shot a second or two later and the moment would still have been captured. I go out daily here in NYC and always have the G1X and the LX5. There is no comparison between to two in respect to 'lag' time.

Because of the superior quality of the G1X pics I keep trying to make it work in these situations but find that unless it is a shot that you actually have time to compose, then you better have something a little more responsive in your hand.

If you see a skate boarder airborne out of the corner of your eye and you swing around and raise your G1X to quickly grab that shot before he lands, you will be very disappointed unless this one time you just happened to have luck on your side. So yes, you can photograph people in the street with the G1X but you need to be aware of the real world limitations.
--
Dallas Phelps

I agree with what you say, Dallas.

All the Powershots (and most compact cameras from other brands) are limited in terms of their speed. Speed, in this instance, is in reference to both shutter-lag and Autofocus.

There are VERY few cameras that perform like a DSLR without actually being one. One is a new ILC (interchangeable Lens) camera from Olympus. (It's closer to a DSLR than a compact) I haven't used the Panasonic LX5 but I know that the JPEG engine in the past LX models has always been considered inferior to the DiGiC processor.

I didn't buy the G1X to photograph action. I have DSLRS for that. I purchased it to capture quality still images of scenes, locations, architecture, people, sunsets and animals in challenging light. Those items exclusively and image quality is paramount to me. There are times when I try to photograph a kitten or something fleeting and I cannot capture the shot that I want because I should have used a DSLR. With a DSLR, I always capture the moment that I need... but the convenience of size and weight is then lost.

These are the types of shots that I am after with the G1X: You'll notice that they're not action shots. I can still capture a bird in flight or a child leaping into the ocean but generally speaking, these (see below) are more likely the sort of shots that I pursue. I'm usually looking for the beauty of the location rather than trying to capture something fast moving within it.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow