Canon 18-135mm STM IS vs. Canon 18-55mm IS

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
owen5 New Member • Posts: 12
Canon 18-135mm STM IS vs. Canon 18-55mm IS

Hi all

I’m about to purchase my first DSLR and pretty much decided on the Canon T4i (650D) but still unsure which lens kit to get. Since the 18-135mm STM lens is just new in the market I haven’t found a good review except a website ( http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/canons-18-135mm-is-gets-an-stm-makeover ) comparing the 18-135mm STM and another Canon lens, 15-85mm IS, which they said is better than the 18-135mm STM in most areas. Also, I’ve read some posts here commenting that the 18-135mm STM lens seems as good as some L lenses based on MTF charts. I’m trying to figure out if it is worthwhile getting the 18-135mm STM bundled since I can save maybe a couple of hundred bucks and the idea of having a longer reach than the 18-55mm IS seems fit for a general walk around lens. I have no plans of immediately buying a new lens until I gain some experience in DSLR photography. I also know that the STM lenses is better for videos but I see this advantage as a bonus not a priority at this stage.

Could those who have the 18-135mm STM lens post some comments with regards to sharpness and IQ for still photos?

How does it compare with the 18-55mm IS kit lens from 18mm to 55mm focal length with regards to still photos?

Should I get the 18-55mm IS or the 18-135mm STM lens for still photography?

Regards
Owen

Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow