300mm F4 with the 1.7 in the local marsh

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
martinch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,042
Like?
Re: 300mm F4 with the 1.7 in the local marsh
In reply to Stusteelhead, Jul 17, 2012

Stusteelhead wrote:

i use this combo in very low light situations all the time, I rarely stop down to F/10 normally F/8 but thie big thing is what were you camera settings and were you on a good tripod. I use AF-ON button so once I can see it is in focus can take my thumb off and shoot, I dont have to worry about it jumping focus, I shoot single centre AF as well. I use Lock-on set to normal if it is Off camera doesn't follow as well can be a pain. As well i shoot alot of photos in lowlight 7fps can be your best friend, ( shoot in bursts) ups your keeper rate substantially.

I ended up at f/8-10 to try to maintain some depth of field (the birds in question were house sparrows, which don't really stay still for very long). I was on a Manfrotto mag-fibre tripod with a slackened hydrostatic ball head, so I could track the birds, whilst having some kind of stability. I was using AF-ON to control the AF, AF was in AF-C, although I was using one of the non-centre AF points. I think the tracking lock was set to Normal (I don't believe I changed that from the default!).

Guess I need to have another go

-- hide signature --

My gallery of so-so nature photos:
http://martinch.zenfolio.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow