Will a 300F4IS (+1.4TCII) work for Vancouver island/hyder?

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
jason sheridan
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: Will a 300F4IS (+1.4TCII) work for Vancouver island/hyder?
In reply to twan, Jul 17, 2012

I really like the both the 70-200mm and the 300mm but I would not even think about going without something wider. I used a sigma 17-70mm OS on my 50D (28-110mm equivalent) more than the 70-200mm but not as much as the 300mm (see a few below). You would miss many shots like landscapes and scenics with 70mm being your widest lens. I took a Sigma 10-20mm and barely used it. Your 24-105mm should be perfect on a full frame body to compliment the other lenses you plan to take on the trip.

Having an f4 telephoto is better than f5.6 and f2.8 is better than f4 for wildlife. A faster lens is always going to be helpful with faster autofocus and shutter speed. This is especially true on the cloudy and foggy west coast of BC.

One thing you may consider if it’s in the budget is a second body. Having 2 lenses mounted on 2 different bodies can be indispensible. Fumbling around switching lenses can be the difference between getting the shot of an animal or missing it. If you were to pick up a crop body like a 60D/50D/Rebel you would get a 1.6x multiplier on your telephoto lenses. This can make a real difference for wildlife. If you buy a used body you could likely sell it at the end of the trip for exactly what you paid for it.

Jay

jason sheridan's gear list:jason sheridan's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow