Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,725
Like?
******* Challenge 149 - Natural High Dynamic Range *******
Jul 16, 2012

Thank you Winnie for asking me to continue this since the others couldn't commit.

Natural High Dynamic Range is the theme of the next challenge. I want to see natural looking HDR. Not the pseudo HDR or cartoonish-looking HDR that you see scattered online. I want to see your BEST photographs that required the aid of differently exposed, bracketed frames (+ - EV, 3 to 9 frames merged) to achieve a higher dynamic range than the camera couldn't achieve on it's own in one frame. I would also like for you to also include your bracketed settings, setup and what you did in post processing to "fill in those shadows and reduce those highlights". If you have in-camera HDR, where the camera will take 2 to 3 frames to automatically produce HDR, that will be allowed.

• KEEP IT NATURAL. If it isn't natural looking, it won't make the cut. Cartoonish colors, dark gray skies due to tonemapping are not allowed. Also, pay attention to composition. I'd like to see a well balanced photograph. I have a discerning eye and will pay attention to detail and content.

What I DON'T want to see (be sure to look at these examples of pseudo HDR here):

https://www.google.com/search?q=pseudo+hdr&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RpUEUKaFDsri0QHP9rTeCA&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1924&bih=849

What I DO want to see (more samples): http://dezsantana.com/hdr

My examples below are my specialty, night cityscapes. Your entry doesn't have to be a cityscape. It could be anything that required HDR.

This challenge will end on July 23,2012 at 7PM EST

Rules:

VERY IMPORTANT! please reply to the FIRST (ORIGINAL) post and please RENAME THE SUBJECT TO INDICATE THE TITLE OF YOUR PHOTO ENTRY.

The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You will submit your BEST work. Post ONE image (if you post more than one image, the first will be your entry in the challenge). NIKON camera preferred (DSLR, P&S or Nikon "1" system cameras).

The host chooses a winner after closing. The decision of the judge (the host) is final. The judge is not eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 72 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.
Images created with any camera at any time are eligible.

Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. if you want someone to leave you some constructive criticism, put (CC) next to the title of your image.

Please embed your image in the thread. Try to resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (800 to 1200 pixels on the longest side is best).

REMEMBER TO RENAME THE SUBJECT TITLE WHEN YOU POST AN ENTRY.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow