Is this the beginning of an SDM failure?

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Katcher
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Is this the beginning of an SDM failure?
Jul 16, 2012

I've had a 16-50mm DA* for almost 2 years and noticed recently that when using the 50mm setting and trying to focus on something at or near infinity the lens sometimes hunts but does not actually achieve focus. This is true only when the lens is set at 50 mm. At any other focal length it works fine.

I usually use the lens indoors with ambient light and I attributed the problem to a low light focus problem. But recently I was using the lens out in bright sunlight and found the same problem.

If I shorten the focal length, focus on something at infinity and then go back to 50mm and then refocus on something at infinity again, it focuses fine. If I focus on something relatively close at 50mm and then go back to focus on something at/near infinity, it also focuses fine.

Is the the beginning of a full SDM failure?

I charged the lens on a credit card that claims to double the warranty for up to 1 additional year. Since I have about 2 months left in this 2 year period, I wanted to take advantage of the "extended warranty" before it runs out even though the lens has not yet failed completely.

Appreciate any information and advice.

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow