What's wrong with my photographs?

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
amangupta
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: boring sells -creative we need not be
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Jul 16, 2012

Agreed, as long you make a distinction between what sells and what is art. Most commercial photos we see are of models headshots or people wearing stuff companies want to sell.

But you can play a lot - tell a story with a photo. Something like this:

http://500px.com/photo/3858285

I am currently practicing studio portraiture and try to think of ideas. One of the idea that I had, for e.g., is to have a model in front of the dressing table putting on make up to do make up, with a picture of someone like Marylin Monroe stuck on the mirror. She is obsessed with her and trying to her as much as possible. Emotions and stories like this can be conveyed using a single picture. And I am sure if I take a few hours, I can find more examples where people have actually done this well.

Many photographers have an "editorial" section in their websites. That is how the boundaries of what is possible are pushed. And if you try hard enough to find, such avant garde work is not that uncommon on the internet. There is lot of creativity in the world.

amangupta's gear list:amangupta's gear list
Nikon D40
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow