Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,205
Like?
Re: My recent purchase and throughts.
In reply to Donald B, Jul 16, 2012

Donald B wrote:

Hi Gerry, isnt it funny

Life's certainly full of funny personal quirks, Don.

ive got so many primes and just cant get the hang of them, ( i might just be a lazy photographer)

I've followed your posts for a long time and I I don't think you are lazy about your photography, except in the sense that we all like to make our lives easy where possible.

im going to sell my 35mm limited which has hardly been used in 2 years, to fund the fz150, the only prime i use is my vivitar 105 2.5 macro, i have some lovely old primes that are super sharp, but realy no better than any of my zooms when stopped a bit, im not a photoshop person neither and hate shooting raw , just like to shoot straight from camera with no processing even cropping, so have enjoyed the zooms for critical composition. after looking back at some of my work when ive gone away on a photograhic club week ends i aways win the out of camera comps where your not even alowed to download them to a computer and can only take 2 photos of a subject so it hasnt held back my photographic skill, looking forward to the new toy should be a bit of fun and kick start the hobby side of my photography again.

I think a lot of it is the way we grew up into photography. I started in the early 50s as a pre-teen, at first with cameras owned by my dad or his friends: some were 2.1/4 x 2.1/4 (today's 66), 120, 127 and 35mm. In other words, a range of aspect ratios. Paper was also all sorts of aspect ratio: 18 x 8, 7 x5 among others. So from the outset UI had to compose with a view to cropping in the enlarger: in fact, when I moved to 35mm slides in the 70s I fpind 3:2 unpleasant and I've never got used to being constrained by the limits of the VF.

And, of course, I'd never even heard of zoom lenses, so I learned to envisage the FOV I'd get with a fixed FL and compose within that. Even today I find it easier to look at a scene and just see the shot I can get with a given FL; my eye skates over things I can't get with the lens I have mounted. In fact, what I often do is go out with just one lens mounted, then go home (or to the hotel) and walk around the same area with a different lens.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow