Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mg428
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Close focus distance of 85mm lenses and its implications
Jul 16, 2012

I am considering buying an 85mm fast prime (1.4 or 1.8) and third party brands such as Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM and even manual focus Samyang (Rokinon/Walimex/ etc.) 85mm 1.4 are among my options. All lenses except Samyang have a close focusing distance of 0.80/0.85m close focusing distance from their focal plane whereas Samyang's close focusing distance is about 1.15m from the focal plane (the 1m cited in Samyang's specs measures from the front of the lens instead of the focal plane). Therefore, with 30 to 35 cm difference in close focus distance, there would be a significant difference between Samyang and other lenses especially because the DOF is already quite thin due to the relatively long focal length and very large apertures.

As there are lots of information available on various aspects of these lenses such as vignetting, sharpness, CA etc., the ONLY aspect that I would like to know more about in this thread pertains to this difference in close focus distance and I would like to know in particular:

(i) how Samyang 85mm 1.4 is compared to any other 85mm 1.4 prime due to such difference (in this regard I want to see actual examples taken from close focusing distances of these lenses to see the extent of the shallowness of DOF);

(ii) whether Samyang 85mm 1.4 essentially behaves like a 1.8 lens (or even smaller) with such 30/35 cm longer close focus distance (in this regard I will appreciate comparison photos taken with Samyang 85mm 1.4 and any of the other 85mm 1.4 primes and 1.8 primes at different apertures and distances including their close focus distances to see the actual differences.)

I might be asking for a lot, but examples on both DX and FX for the above aspects will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow