Possible bug OMD EM5 using S-AF+MF

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
blosshapperter
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: Possible bug OMD EM5 using S-AF+MF
In reply to blosshapperter, Jul 16, 2012

OK, perhaps my idea is not straightforward for users who have disabled touch option of the display - so let's go back to the start and state what actually does work as expected:

You set the camera to S-AF+MF.
Activate the option to automatically activate magnification.

optionally set the focus position using cursor or left+cursor (depending on options)
Press the shutter half to gain a first focus - which you intend to optimize on.
Touch (hereby infinitesimally turning) the focus ring
and tata! the chosen area is magnified.

_ _

Let's do a step by step what does not work as expected:

You set the camera to S-AF+MF.
Activate the option to automatically activate magnification.

Set to 'set focus area using touch but do not activate shutter' using your finger (instead of using the cursor - read the manual if you don't know how).
Set the correct focus area size and position - this works better than you think!

Note: I do not expect magnification now because you could not operate the touch interface to move and resize
optionally move your eye to the ocular to gain higher resolution

Press the shutter half to gain a second focus (touching already activated a first focus afaik) - which you intend to optimize on.
Touch (hereby infinitesimally turning) the focus ring

and tata! the chosen area is NOT magnified. In fact you can turn the ring until you turn black in your face.

_ _

BTW: my own idea about touch was: I do not need it.

Now I find this option quite helpful - especially when timing is critical (motive is moving fast). By touching the display you tell the camera 'this is my motive!' and the camera does the rest. iApple as it should be - if you allow me to coin this word...

_ _

Some other minor topics where you may help me:

• is there a quick way to jump between both modi (touch and not touch for focus area selection)? Once inside the cursor keys are Shanghai-ed to move the rectangular area - I want to jump back to these 35 squares. I know of the sequence OK, left (I do use all programmable buttons), searching for a single key.

• can the magnification be changed at all? I've tried right now choosing 9 square AF fields and gained the same x10 magnification. Ah, rtfm does the trick: magnify hotkey (fn2 in my case), info and up/down to choose magnification, jump back to 35 squares: OK, left; shutter half press, turn the ring. After only 7 actions you are finally back but changed magnification. How about using the rear wheel as long as in auto-magnification? (ok, a bit risky (other use when not magnified) - but so much faster! The timeout (refer to next line) could be rewound during rear wheel activiation like when using the focus ring) [please kindly note my restriction to auto/magnify - the normal magnify operation (zoom-AF = 'lens' = fn2) is OK as it is and should not be changed]

• jumping back out of magnification can be done by waiting. Is there a faster way?

Why do I think I need changing the magnification during manual focus?

I bought the fastest autofocus available for a reason but I grave for perfection. So I tend to (try to) optimize when necessary - which is thank God a rare thing.

First point to note: I'm not trained to gain perfect focus - therefore I'm slow. Very often slower than the bug or fly. Well...

Second point: where does AF fail? Especially when there is a lot of structure in the background - and background can be the next blade of grass in macro photography. (The first time I saw missed-AF I tried to macro a spider in its net before bambus, the spider was easy to find - other motives are more demanding)

Resumee: I am in search of a fast way to choose magnification during manual focus fine tuning - enabling me to come down from rather poor magnification to maximum magnification when I'm sure I'm in the proper region.

And no, I can't drag a 4k/2k (HDMI 1.4) 20" monitor with me all the time - alas such a resolution is not supported either...

-- hide signature --

The lust for comfort murders the passions of the soul. - Kahlil Gibran

blosshapperter's gear list:blosshapperter's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow