Lack of DOF with micro 4/3rds cameras such as E-M5 OM-D?

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Agreed - on the wide end especially
In reply to sigala1, Jul 16, 2012

I agree that the practical difference between APS-C and MFT is small even when the same f/number is available for a given subject framing - especially if you want to shoot at 4:3 ratio. At the wide end, I don't think there is any lens for APS-C to compete/compare to the 14mm f/2.5 Panasonic (in size, focal length, or price). Nor really the 25mm f/1.4. The only lenses from Canon, for example, are the 28mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/2. Neither of those will offer significantly different DOF, and in my experience with the 28mm lens it is worse wide open, even with microadjust. If you go any longer, though, you suddenly have the excellent 50mm f/1.4 as a portrait lens. And the 85mm or 100mm primes are also excellent and lower in price than the Olympus 75mm. All that said, Canon and Nikon simply do not produce APS-C prime lenses. Canon just released a pancake lens (40mm) and two stabilized wide angle primes, all full frame and slower apertures compared to MFT options. None of those focal lengths seem targeted to APS-C users. It is very easy to get setup with the 28mm, 50mm, 90mm primes (35mm effective FOV) in MFT, not so much in APS-C, especially if you want to add a 24mm prime to the mix.

Overall, I think the point is that MFT and APS-C are very close in both image quality and DOF 'control' - if you focus on lenses that most can afford. It is great that an 85mm f/1.2 is available for Canon/Nikon, but I'll never own one!

The real world difference for me, though, is huge. Instead of carrying an f/4 zoom or one prime, I now carry several fast primes. In most cases I have more 'creative control' with MFT, simply because it is so easy to carry the compact lenses with me.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow