Day hiking with a pro DSLR - brainstorming for the ideal carrying system

Started Apr 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
BryceM
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Re: Day hiking with a pro DSLR - brainstorming for the ideal carrying system
In reply to Julian Vrieslander, Jul 16, 2012

I've been using the ThinkTank camera holster for a few seasons now http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/digital-holsters/digital-holsters.aspx - slightly overbuilt (just look at the cast iron d-rings and clips they use - their designers have no weight discipline), but it's entirely up to the job of protecting an SLR+lens on the trail while keeping the gear handy so that it actually gets used. Don't bother with the ThinkTank backpack connection kit as it's three times as heavy as it needs to be and you can make better\sturdier\lighter equivalents with paracord and shoe-lace width elastic shock cord.

I've carried it on the front

and on my belt (this required some minor modification involving the addition of some grommets and parachute cord as the pack's hip belt is wider than the holster was designed for)

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow