RX100 - Seiings to maximize JPEG output quality

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,892Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 - Seiings to maximize JPEG output quality
In reply to gulffish, Jul 16, 2012

I don't have an RX100, and cannot say if these settings would work at all the way they do for other cameras...however, I have found with many of my Sony cameras that the following settings work very well for JPGs (applicable to the DSLRs and SLTs, as well as NEX line so far):

Picture mode: Vivid. Contrast at 0, Saturation at -1, Sharpness at -1 (this is of course up to each person's sharpness taste, but I strongly dislike oversharpening which produces strong white halo edges - others actually prefer this look...so I choose to do my sharpening in post processing IF I want it, and leave in-camera settings lower).

Center-weighted metering mode. Most larger-sensor Sony cameras meter the best and most reliable in center-weight mode, so I use this mode most often.

EV -0.3. Again, many Sony large-sensor cameras have a slight bias towards overexposure - it's even and reliable, but if you don't want to work with post processing, often dialing in a slight amount of -EV will dial in the exposures nicely.

DRO on Auto for most situations, but disengaged for low light/night shooting. DRO (assuming the RX100 is using the more advanced Apical algorithm and not a simple shadow recovery tone curve) is excellent at controlling highlights and shadows within an exposure on a pixel-by-pixel level, and usually keeps its effect very conservative in Auto mode, only dialing in as needed. I've always preferred it in Auto mode working in the background - I work on the exposure, DRO just protects the high-contrast shadows. However, because DRO has to gain up underexposed areas, it can be a negative to use in low light situations, where shadows that are underexposed at high ISOs will be gained up even further, resulting in worse-than-expected noise at a given high ISO.

Hopefully, someone with an RX can try some of these, and see if they apply to the smaller sensor as well as they do with the larger APS-C sensors. And of course, confirm whether the DRO on the RX is the Apical-based advanced DRO (as on Sony & Nikon DSLRs), and not a more simplistic tone-curve adjustment (as on Canon Rebel DSLRs).

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow