The Un-Bigma, Small-igma, errr - Minigma :)

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
The Un-Bigma, Small-igma, errr - Minigma :)
Jul 16, 2012

Just got my hands on a vastly forgotten (and largely unknown) lens which I've been looking for for quite some time: behold, the Small Bigma, the UnBigma, the Mini, errr... the Minigma

The long lost and forgotten Sigma 135-400mm f4.5-5.6 APO DG.

This one is a weird little guy - thinner than a 50-200mm SWD (maybe thinner than the non SWD 50-200mm too). The usual Sigma nice tripod collar. A nice bag. An ugly (but included) hood.

A feel similar to my old Sigma 55-200 DC. AF on the E-5 is not too bad. On the EM5, just like all my adapted telephoto lenses, it confirms AF with a slight off-focus (just enough to make pics crappy), but that's an issue I have with my 50-200mm SWD as well (still laughing at that "CDAF is always spot on" legend).

Extended, it looks like an ugly grey salami.

Will discuss image quality when I get any decent test. From the little I did so far - at 400mm it seems to give me the color aberrations of the 18-180mm and the softness of a poodle on weed. but all this is unconfirmed.

Actually, I'd be thankful if someone publishes a "Standardized" test image shot with the 50-200mm + EC-20. Like I don't know, a dollar bill at a predefined distance or something like that. Curious how much worse it is than this combo (if worse at all).

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Olympus E-5 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow