Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fly-catchers
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Is my Panasonic 14- 140mm lens faulty?
Jul 16, 2012

When I got my GH2 with 14-140mm lens in April I was overall very pleased with the combination. I use the OIS when taking hand held photos and video. I got the camera primarily for video.

However in the last couple of weeks I have been getting these random "jumps" in hand held video shots.

Here is an example:

The first photo is roughly the moment before the jump followed by the jump and the final photo is the next frame after the jump. It was taken at 30mm on the lens, 1/50th F8 160iso 25p PAL.The "jump" just effects one or two frames and either the whole frame is blurred or the bottom half is and the top half looks soft.
In both cases on playback it appears as a jump or bounce.

The blip when it occurs has been on a variety of lens positions from WA to tele and ETC. And different apertures and in some cases shutter speed and iso. In all cases the OIS is on and the camera is hand held. I first saw this effect on a tripod shot with the OIS left on by mistake. But them have continued to see it on hand held shots since them. It is random but did not occur on around 250 short recordings 20 secs to 10 minutes done when I first got the camera. If it had occured from the start of using the camera I might well put it down to the limitions of the OIS- which might still be the case. But it seems strange that it should only have started to occur recently. Any ideas? Given its intermittent nature if it is a fault will imagine it might be a bit of nightmare getting it fixed! Or might the issue be in the camera? It is unhacked and both the lens and camera have the latest Panasonic firmware- 1.1 & 1.4. It does not appear when the OIS is switched off nor on other lens I use which do not have OIS Since starting to appear around the end of July it seems to be occuring more often. While prior to that period, the effect did not occur, and I got the camera in early April and have shot extensively with it.

Do you think the lens should go back?

bill

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow