Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jarvis393
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
Gridded Softboxes with Speedlites for interior photography
Jul 16, 2012

I did some experimenting today with a 28" Wescott Apollo softbox and a single Canon speedlight. The subject was about six feet away from the light stand.

We did some shots with a 40º grid and some with just the diffuser.

I was really impressed with how well the diffuser controlled spill. (We were experimenting with different types of modifiers and the whole effort just focused on spill)

This got me to thinking about using a gridded speedlight for shooting kitchen interiors that my cabinet shop produces. There are a whole lot of times when I need some light to come in 90º to the camera axis. Mostly I am trying to create shadow in the cabinet mouldings etc.

The softbox belongs to a friend of mine and I didn't really think about testing it for range but I am thinking about this now. How well would a gridded softbox work if I wanted to move it farther out of the scene. Could I achieve that focused light from greater distances if I were to put 2 or 3 speedlights into the softbox?

I am thinking now of a particular kitchen with a walnut island and massive countertop overhang. The last time I tried to shoot this I couldn't get enough light into the dark kneespace under the counter overhang.

PART 2: Assuming that a gridded softbox will do the job, what softbox should I get for speedlights? The Wescott Apollo was pretty easy to manage in that it set up like an umbrella but does not get good reviews at BH Camera with respect to robustness. I need to be able to bang it around a bit so strength and ease of set up are significant. Any suggestions about a good softbox for this purpose?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow