Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mindgarden
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Pentax K30 and K5 vs Canon T41 (650D) and Nikon 5100
Jul 15, 2012

I am a casual photographer that until recently was shooting with the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 . We recently added our first child to our family and, now that she is mobile, I have become frustrated with my P&S because it performs poorly in low light (indoors) and with fast moving objects (babies).

For that reason, and because I would enjoy returning to photography (actually did darkroom work with film back in the day), I am interested in an entry level DSLR. Having taken some photography courses, I am aware that the pictures you produce are only as good at your skill - much less related to your equipment. However, there is something to be said for being jazzed about a new camera to motivate you to take your skills to the next level.

I have done a far amount of research and understand that the lenses are more important in many respects than the body. However, I do not think I will ever be a semi-pro level shooter so it is not as necessary for me to have a huge ecosystem like Nikon or Canon. My sister and best friend do shoot semi-professionally and both have Canons. I was all set to get the T4i but I was disappointed that Canon seems to have paid more attention to the video aspect of the camera than the still aspect. I have a Panasonic TM700 camcorder, so while it will be nice to have the convenience of the video in the camera (as long as I feel like carrying a tripod), that is not my main consideration.

What I am looking for is a great entry level DSLR that has excellent autofocus and low light performance. I realize that the K5 is not strictly an entry level camera, but currently it is priced very close to the K30.

I looked at the mirrorless cameras but they do not seem to be quite there yet in terms of low light performance and shooting fast moving objects. I will not consider any Olympus product because I cannot in good faith support a company that has so completely pushed aside any meaningful sense of stewardship.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer - if you suggest a camera it would be helpful to know what you think of the kit lens with that model or whether to just get the body and some other lens. For example, I can get the K30 with an 18-135 kit lens but for almost the same price I can get the K5 with the DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm or with the 18-55mm Lens DA L 55-300mm, etc. etc. I have no idea about the quality of these or any other lens, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow