Having trouble getting sharp photos indoors with G3 + 20mm

Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,072Gear list
Like?
I think the AF worked correctly
In reply to stevenmh, Jul 15, 2012

I think the camera focused on the rim of the sink just behind the faucet in one shot, and on the tip of the faucet in the other shot. These points are very close to one another in the frame, so if your spot covered both then the camera really would not be able to tell which one you want. That's shows the advantage of using the face detection AF: it will pick the face, rather than just some random contrasty details.

I would also like to point out that the tip of the faucet is reasonably sharp in either shot, but in one case it's in the front of the sharp area, and in the other it's in the back. As far as the sharp faucet image is concerned, your goal was achieved in either shot.

Furthermore, I started to use the 23-area AF because it seems to optimize aperture to keep all the highlighted areas in reasonable focus, so I get more consistent results.

Another thing I would suggest, is to take several quick shots, focusing each one individually. It's often much faster than trying to pin point the exact focus in one shot.

Vlad

stevenmh wrote:

OK, I went back to the scene. I put the camera in manual mode, set aperture at 2.8, shutter at 100, ISO 800. Single point focus, smallest box, aimed right at the end of the faucet. Braced myself against door frame, depressed halfway to lock focus, then fully depressed with elbows locked against body and breathing out. Took two back to back shots. First shot appears to be focusing from the front edge of the diaper change pad forward (towards me). Second shot appears to be focusing from the front edge of the diaper change pad back (away from me). Look at contact lens case on soap bar holder for a point of reference.

I don't understand.

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow