Nikon D90 too old for the long run?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
To throw some light on the question....
In reply to Ysir, Jul 15, 2012

Ysir wrote:

I am just confisued about DSLR technology advancement. Is it more like a car engine or more like a smart phone?

Car engine. Sensor technology has matured and the new advances are small and the marketing hype is large. When I compare the results of the D70 to the D90, I can't really see much image quality improvement except at the higher ISO's. When I analyze the controlled D7000 vs. D90 images (IR comparatometer, DxO's sensor scores, etc.) I need to have the superiority of the D7000 pointed out to me. DxO's measurements and test suggests that the D90 and D7000 have a similar response at high ISO and the D7000 expands the DR advantage at ISO 100.

Do you think buying the D90 is a good investment and will serve me for a long time? Other options:

• Buy D3200.

• Wait for the release of D7000 replacement and grab D7000. I have time but money is an issue.

I suspect the controls of the D3200 will get in the way if you develop a serious interest in photography. The prices of the D7000 will plummet with the introduction of the succeeding model. Many folks will vehemently defend that camera body, but I can't speak from personal experience on that. The D90 remains my champion DX light-writing machine. It's easy to use, a pleasure to adjust and is still giving me many things to learn.

Best luck with your decision,
Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow