Bird Photography

Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ikeepem
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?
Similar shot...
In reply to wyokid44, Jul 15, 2012

wyokid44 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I will set it to ISO 400. The photo was originally taken with shutter priority at 1/1000 sec and aperture was F7.1 and AUTO ISO was on resulting in 100 ISO. I used my 300mm F4.0 L IS lens on the 7D. IS was set to Mode 2. What would you recommend with regard to using Image Stabilization? Often I use my 1.4 Extender with the 300mm?

-- hide signature --

With as fast as these birds are, or any BIF, I'd turn off that IS to get as fast as acquisition speed as possible in order for the center point expansion mode to lock on and let er rip...shoot at a minimum of 400 ISO depending on light, you might have to go higher depending, it's all about shutter speed...good quality lenses should be good wide open but in general I aim for f/7.1-f/8 in manual and adjust SS accordingly having my thumb on the dial like a foot on the accelerator, I usually like between 1600-2000 shutter speed ...here's a similar shot with the 400mm f5.6 lens which is very fast focus and sharp wide open, that's why I choose it over the 300mm f4L IS+TC, I use it strictly for BIF though whereas you have more versatility with the 300mm F/4 IS...Good luck and practice practice practice

shot hand held wide open..

'I am what I am and that's all I am' Popeye 1960. Favorite famous Hollywood celebrity. Don't have time for the rest.....

Ikeepem's gear list:Ikeepem's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot S95 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow