Am I ready to become a pro and make it a business?

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
CaseySRT
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: Am I ready to become a pro and make it a business?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 15, 2012

From reading the replies (thank you all by the way) I don't think I'm ready yet. I've read through the forum last night and it seems an important thing to make it as a business is to find a niche to allow yourself to stand out which makes sense.

Something I do like to do that I feel would be a niche market is light painting, we have our first light paint session tonight (I'll post images for your C&C), but this really limits our customer base... it has to be at night or at least somewhere dark, kids can't do it (there is no way a 2-5 year old can hold still for 30-60 seconds). The only people this would appeal to are women, maybe some couples, and that's about it.

The second thing I like to do is more of a fantasy type of work, much like the work of Brooke Shaden, but again this would mainly only appeal to women.

Am I trying for a niche that would just be too hard to have?

As for some other points, I live in a small town and we only have one professional photographer but we have a lot of people with cameras, if I were to ever make this a business, how can I compete with someone who is doing a session for $65.00? Granted their highlights are more often than not blown and they dutch angle them to death, but people are using them. I know we can stand out in style, but will people choose style over price?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow