D4 & D800E in use at The Wimbledon Tennis Championships..

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Deegee
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
D4 & D800E in use at The Wimbledon Tennis Championships..
Jul 15, 2012

Just in case anyone is remotely interested, my Wimbledon 2012 images can be seen at http://www.duncangrove.com/2012-wimbledon-tennis . They were shot with two D4s and one D800E. Lenses used were mainly 300mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 85mm f/1.4 lenses, with the occasional use of 24-70mm f/2.8 and 14-24 f/2.8 and 16mm fisheye (the 85mm was used exclusively with the D800E). I have invested in all of this gear. They were not “loaners”, although Nikon did kindly loan me a 400mm f/2.8 for the occasional long-shot positions that you will see.

I had used one of the D4s “in anger” previously and was already very familiar with shooting using D3S AND D3X bodies. The D800 was pretty new to me apart from a few prior test shots. The rest of the lenses I have owned for at least a year so am very familiar with them.

Both the iffy weather and using three brand-new bodies (probably a mistake, I am not so sure I will be an early adopter next time) proved challenging. I captured some competent shots (difficult not to if you sit in the pit on Centre Court grasping Nikon’s latest and greatest!) but I fear the front cover of Sports Illustrated eludes me for yet another year.

Frankly, I had no great expectations of the upgrade from D3S to D4. I already had a D3X and D3S. The D3X is a great camera but was not useable for some of my sport shoots where I needed two bodies. I wanted to have two bodies exactly the same to avoid preferring one over the other and being confused over button locations etc. I sold my D3S and D3X for near what I paid for them and bought two D4s. I then panicked about not having a high resolution camera such as the D3X, which I used to love. I thought to D800E was good value in comparison, so bought one of these also.

In the event, I have found that the D4 seems to have better dynamic range than the D3S – I always used to shoot Wimbledon (white clothes) with at least -1/3 compensation in order to protect highlights. Even when the sun was shining this year I found that this was unnecessary. The increase from 12 Mp to 16 Mp is not in theory that great but in practice I have found that is very useful. Tight crops that I know would have been marginal quality-wise with the D3S are more than acceptable with the D4.

If you want negative comments, there are massive pains regarding the accessory compatibility of the D4 and D800E, which I feel are inexcusable since the models were launched within a month of each other. I am well invested in several big (32Gb) CF cards. The D4 has one XQD slot and one CF slot. The D800E has one CF slot and one SD slot. I have never owned an SD card and to invest now would seem to be a backward investment. Batteries, and their chargers, are also different. I have overcome this huge issue by investing in a battery pack and accessory that will allow me to use D4 type batteries in the D800E; I resent the need to have to spend this money.

The D4 works with the new and dinky WT-5 wireless transmitter, which seems to be a worthwhile investment for studio work (my level of accreditation would never allow me use of this for sports work). However, the later-released D800E will not work with this and needs the older and far inferior WT-4. It is the D800E that I would choose to use for studio work – frustrating!

Using the D800E for sport was interesting. As a sports camera it will never replace the D4 but in many ways it was very competent at shooting tennis. Two years ago I was (possible correctly) laughed at for experimenting at using a Hasselblad at Wimbledon. Hasselblad has a great system albeit not designed for action shots and of course its limitations in this area became very obvious. For some twilight GV shots though, it far excelled my D3X.

I found the similar-resolution D800E much more responsive than the Hasselblad in terms of shutter-lag etc and although the frame rate is far lower than the D4’s, in some respects this is strangely an advantage.

Using the D800E I could not indulge in the lazy machine gun approach – I had to concentrate more to time my one (or perhaps two) shots carefully. It was actually quite easy to acquire a reasonably high rate of “ball-on-racquet” captures with just one shot and it made “culling the wheat from the chaff” much quicker in editing – there were far fewer images to trawl through! Once I found a good capture, it was such a luxury to be able to crop aggressively and produce an impactful image that was sellable resolution-wise. The agency I was uploading to actually complained that my file sizes were too large, normally they moan that I have cropped too much and file sizes are too small!

Just my personal experience and views to date in case anyone is interested.
--
Regards
Deegee FRPS
http://www.duncangrove.com
http://www.duncangroveblog.com
Q:- What's the difference between artists and photographers?
A:- Two artists can have a conversation without discussing their paintbrushes!

Deegee's gear list:Deegee's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow