A few more pics with the Nikkor 500mm f4/P

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
JLR9
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice shots! (n/t)
In reply to larrywilson, Jul 15, 2012

Thanks for the thumbs up folks,

of course this 500mm with converter does not allow for easy (for me, not at all) pics of BIF. So I am afraid these are static but it does go to show what an old manual lens can do.

Larry, congrats on your VR, I am envious. I had to go through hell with my wife just to get the P version, divorce would follow if I bought a VR (if I had the cash!)

The set up has to be used with a gimbal head, sturdy tripod and good long lens technique. The overall focal length 35mm equivalent is 1280mm at a 1.6 crop factor.

This, of course, necessitates high shutter speeds but I am limited to ISO 640 unless I want excessive noise, (I usually use Neat Image on each image).This means shutter speeds in the order of a minimum of 1/125th sec, I can't get a sharp shot below this, to around 1/1000sec if the light is good enough (it usually isn't). I never shoot wide open but stop down to an indicated f8.5.

Shooting this beast is like using a rifle so you must control breathing and squeeze off the shutter very gently, I often shoot off three in succession finding one is usually in focus at low speeds.

Lance Blackburn is my inspiration for bird shots, he can give you good tips using the 500mm VR.

Regards, John

-- hide signature --

'A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.' - Ansel Adams

JLR9's gear list:JLR9's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow