Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35 Reviews. dissenting opinions and one question
In reply to bgalb, Jul 15, 2012

bgalb wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

EVERY lens shows improvement stopped down from wide open. Period.

Yes, I am well aware of that. I had just hoped that the difference in central sharpness would not be so great between 2.8 and 4.0. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

It's not a big difference, there is a difference but it's not huge. This lens is very consistent throughout its range. The lens is sharp at F2.8 and very sharp at F4, just like the Zuiko 12-60mm.

I agree, though, that the price will likely come down after a while. As will the price of the OM-D, and the 75mm, and virtually everything else. Being an early adopter has its price.

bgalb wrote:

The photography blog review full size image samples clearly show a distinct improvement in center sharpness at all tested apertures when going from 2.8 to 4.0.

I was keenly interested in this lens for it's performance at 2.8, but have been put off by the price. Now I have even greater doubts about the value of this lens vs the $1299 price.

They are already discounting the price $100 on ebay ($1183 current lowest price) with purchase and shipment from Japan. That makes me wonder how long the $1299 price will stand up after deliveries begin in the U.S.

-- hide signature --

I've told myself to stop using "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow