Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,563
Like?
Beauty dish project
Jul 15, 2012

I've been cobbling together a DIY beauty dish for the past several weeks (two of them actually). I used 14 and 18 inch planter bowls for the reflector, loosely adapted from numerous examples I found online. Mine differ in a couple of key aspects. First, they both are multi-light capable. The smaller one accommodates two speedlights, the larger one four. Here's an early shot of the four light setup:

Second, I did not use a highly reflective diffuser (convex mirror, CD, etc.) since no commercial dish uses such a device -- at least so far as I know. The smaller dish uses a flat white metal disk for diffusion. The larger one is headed down a different path. For it, I've fashioned a perforated aluminum diffuser (PAD, ala Mola) which I just finished and put in place a day or so ago. Since Mola offers an "Opal Glass" diffusion element that can be stacked in front of their PAD, I opted for a seven inch white styrofoam plate (i.e., disposable dessert platter) to sub for the glass. Here's a shot from the first test run using that combo:

I'm curious to see how this larger dish works with people, whether I can get a beauty dish "look" with it. Maybe yes, maybe no, but I think I've met the objectives of this exercise which were to a) get me in the ballpark without spending much money to see if I might even want a commercially produced dish in the first place. and b) give me something to do.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow