Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ophrys
Contributing MemberPosts: 774
Like?
Mirror slap tests 5D3 vs 1D4
Jul 15, 2012

I have long been concerned about the harshness of the mirrorslap on modern cameras, particularly 1 series which produce easily felt vibration. It is generally accepted wisdom that when shooting around 1/10 sec on a tripod with a cable release you need to use mirror lock up. I now feel that mlu is beneficial from as high as 1/60th sec and have done some tests previously that demonstrated this.

Having now added the 5D mkIII to my arsenal, it occured to me that the vibration seems much reduced and in the 3fps and single shot "silent shooting modes" it feels virtually non-existent. I wondered if this would be the case if put to the test.

I used a banknote as a target, 300mm f2.8 lens, gitzo tripod, cable release and zero noise reduction or sharpening in ACR where I processed all RAWs in a batch conversion. I moved the tripod back a bit for the 1D4 to compensate for the crop factor. I shot the 5D3 normally, in silent mode and with MLU and the 1D4 just normally and with MLU.(I didn't include the MLU results in the 100% crop results below as they were all identical and the same as the cameras shooting at 1/250 sec.)

Conclusions: The 1D4 was clearly showing signs of image softening by 1/60 sec, so when shooting below 1/125 sec I would not shoot without using MLU. The 5D3 is also showing a little degradation by 1/60 but not to the same extent as the 1D4,and once below 1/15 sec, the vibration has pretty well become benign again, unlike the 1D4 that is still soft at 1/8 sec. However, with the 5D3 shooting in Silent mode there is negligible mirrorslap at any shutterspeed ! From these results, using MLU (or liveview) on the 5D3 appears to be pretty well unnecessary for reasons of vibration control.

Shooting with a tripod and cable release is different to shooting handheld or when gripping the camera/lens on a tripod as the hands will absorb vibration, so I am not suggesting that you cannot shoot the 1DIV without having to resort to MLU at less than 1/125 sec under those circumstances. Finally, the 1DIV can shoot single frames in silent mode and I later tested this as above but it did not improve the mirror slap vibration at all despite the reduced shutter noise.

Test image:

100% Crops:

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow