Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
D800e Help with manual focus via viewfinder
Jul 15, 2012

I am having trouble getting accurate enough focus using the Viewfinder and need help. I purchased two new Voightlander lenses, the 40mm and the 58mm for the Nikon. I have no problem focusing these lenses on a tripod with Liveview, amazingly sharp. Using the viewfinder is another story. I try to use the focusing screen like days of old. This works most of the time using the 58mm which is f1.4. I tried and tried with the 40mm but almost always end up focusing behind the desired subject. I also tried using the focus dot, but the dot seems to come on over a wide range for the 40mm f2. These are the chipped lenses so they do change the aperture setting automatically.

I did purchase the 1.2x magnifier for the viewfinder and that helps a little bit. Is it possible that my screen is off alignment or something. Should I send D800E in for viewfinder adjustment.

I see others in the forum trying to find out about a Brightscreen option.

I do not think the AF fine tune does anything for these manual focus lenses. I tried changing these settings anyway but do not think I saw any difference.

Are there tricks I am missing.
--
Hank K

Nikon D800E, Sony RX100, Samsung NX20 (former 5DM2, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow