Why do people insist on calling the D800 a PRO camera?

Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Douglas69
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do people insist on calling the D800 a PRO camera?
In reply to Nippondenso, Jul 15, 2012

"Pro" as in Professional indicates the item will/is/can be used to earn a living. When Leica introduced 35mm cameras, they began to get used by photographers who sold their pictures. They were Pro cameras. They were and are also cameras for the general public.

Please don't attempt to force your opinion of what a "Pro" camera is on to everyone else. I make a living selling my photos. I use a D800 camera. That makes both the tools I use and me, a Pro.

The camera and every other piece of equipment I use to produce a photo I sell... Are "Pro" items. Before ever the term of Pro was used to describe a camera, photographers used consumer grade cameras to make a living with. At one time I used a folding Polaroid camera.

I sold the photos from it for $10 each. The camera had a plastice element lens and metal body. It took the same film as every other polaroid. It was therefore a "Pro" camera. This sort of conversation is a total waste of time. Have you nothing better to do?
Douglas

Douglas69's gear list:Douglas69's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow