G1x in Chicago issues

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Strachan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,180Gear list
Like?
Re: G1x vs G12
In reply to krugman, Jul 14, 2012

Hi krugman

I'm with you on a lot of the issues comparing the G12 and G1X...I have both too.

The G12 has lovely ergonomics with it's two dials for iso and exposure compensation. The form factor is good, and is just pocketable. Also the G12 is outstanding in macro. Just poke the lens into a flower, listen for the focus beep, and fire the shutter. So I often use that method without looking through the viewfinder or the screen. The smaller sensor gives lots of depth of field in macro too.

The G1X is a great camera as well. And that low light usability is outstanding. Not crazy about pop-up flashes. Lovely lens, but it does have aberrations of weird coma, on the edges when I do star photography.

So I'm often torn between the two cameras, like you. I like them both, but the G12 is a "nicer" camera to use, and nestles in the hand.

In the mean time I'm using a very old Leica, and a superb Canon P rangefinder with a screw 50mm f1.4.... I check my exposures using either of the G Canons!

cheers Dave S

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow