Second Mirrorless Camera In Our Bag?

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: Second Mirrorless Camera In Our Bag?
In reply to kcamacho11, Jul 14, 2012

This same question was posed on the Sony NEX DPReview forum. I'll simply paste my prior response in here. Since I own both a NEX5N and an OM-D, you may find my comments useful.

My first MFT was the wonderful little GF1. I then bought the NEX 5N followed by the Olympus OM-D. The APSc sensor NEX5N with the OLED EVF finder and the NEX7 are close enough so I think my comments can apply to your question. Both the NEX and the OM-D are wonderful cameras and the output of the OM-D is so good that for all practical purposes there is little if any difference in quality below ISO 3200. Both cameras allow a lot of customization, but the OM-D has more direct buttons as opposed to referring to the menu on the NEX. If you have large hands as do I, then you should buy the 1/2 case for the NEX to have something to hold onto and the accessory grip for the OM-D. Frankly, once I got the NEX set up for my needs, I find that the fewer custom buttons and the menus they bring up to be a little easier functionally than the many separate custom buttons on the OM-D. One annoying feature on the NEX 5N and I suppose on the NEX7 is the video button. I do not take videos and there is no way to disable the video. It's placement close to the shutter button results, at times, in the video activating accidentally. On my GF1 I was able to deactivate it. On the OM-D, the video button can be used as another custom button. I set mine to activate manual focus for my Leica legacy lenses. On the NEX, it's just an annoying feature that I don't use and I wish it wasn't there.

So to answer your question, it's a toss up. Both are excellent cameras and there is a larger lens selection for the OM-D. Do you prefer apples or bananas? By the way, the OM-D comes with a small clip on flash that goes into the hot shoe and plugs into a socket in the back of the "pentaprism" bump. It is at least as functional as any pop up flash in the NEX 7 or any other underpowered point and shoot camera.
--
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow